Saturday, 15 October 2016

RYAN LAWRIE DIVIDES FANS OVER HAIRDO




X Factor contestant Ryan Lawrie's new hairdo has split opinion after it received as much attention as his actual performance on the show tonight.
The Scots singer was given a complete makeover for Saturday night as stylists gave him a short back and sides, getting rid of his famous curls.
Twitter went crazy with comments following his Motown performance of Superstition as fans pointed out the obvious.
Fan Kerri Florence said: "Where are Ryan's curls man, not feeling the new hair cut"while Mary Ballard added: "Where has usual #RyanLawrie hair gone? He looks so different."
One fan reckoned Ryan looked like he used to two years ago and put up a picture of him commenting: "I am dying @RyanLawrie_'s hair looks like this two years ago Ryan, right now!!" while follower Andrea said: "Anyone else think Ryan Lawrie looks like Brooklyn Beckham with that hair? #XFactor"
Ryan had earlier this week revealed that he used sea salt and bendy rollers to achieve his curly look.
Let's hope his new shorter hair doesn't do the same for him as it did for biblical character Samson.

Extracts of this original article appeared in the Scottish Sun
- Posted with love from Scotland by theShowbizLion.com

Wednesday, 12 October 2016

CALVIN HARRIS HAS COMPETITION FROM NEWSNIGHT'S KIRSTY WARK




NEWSNIGHT presenter Kirsty Wark is following in the footsteps of fellow Dumfries talent Calvin Harris by becoming a club DJ.
The serious telly host who has grilled many a politician during her career and hosted current affairs weekly Seven Days, is a big music fan and has had a relationship with vinyl for a number of years now.
Her biggest DJ gig to date was spinning the discs she alongside Edith Bowman at a BAFTA Scotland party three years ago.
Former Radio 1 DJ Edith who now has a show on Virgin said of Kirsty's past performance recently : "Kirsty really got the crowd going. It would be nice to do it again at this year's after party following the ceremony ."
Kirsty has now been booked by long running Scots club night Pretty Ugly to DJ at their eleventh birthday celebrations on Saturday November 12 at Glasgow's Admiral Bar.
The evening bills itself as the city's longest running alternative club night playing retro electro and poptastic disco on the second Saturday of every month.
A spokesperson for the club said: "We've reached the ripe old age of eleven and after the political chaos of last year we couldn't think of anyone we'd rather celebrate with more than the BBC Newsnight's voice of reason Kirsty Wark. You may only have seen her on the telly but we've seen her DJing at the BAFTAs so we can tell that you are in for a treat. Expect to hear everything from the Boss to Blondie, Madonna to Taylor Swift, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs to Pixies and Beyoncé to Prince."
An insider added: "Kirsty might have a sensible image on TV but she brings her own quirky style to the dance floor and knows how to kick things off with some top tunes. You really will end up looking at her in a different light."

Extracts of this article have now appeared in the Scottish Sun

- Posted with love from Scotland by theShowbizLion.com

Friday, 7 October 2016

XFACTOR HOUSE TOO HEALTHY FOR RYAN AND EMILY




Exclusive
Beverley Lyons
Emily Middlemas and Ryan Lawrie admit they are fed up with healthy eating in the X Factor house and just want some junk food.
Asked if they were cooking for one another in the house Emily revealed: "No we don't cook dinner for one another. We have a chef.
Ryan quipped: "Thank God."
But he added: "It's all too healthy. We don't have any fried stuff or anything. We want a big chippy from Glasgow.
Emily laughed: "Yeah, we want a big burger. We need pizzas."
Emily said of her time in the house.
She enthused: "It is amazing honestly. Every single contestant is so nice and there for each other. Everyone is so lovely and we all get on really well. I was expecting it to be cat fights but it's not like that at all. Everybody is so nice and we are really enjoying ourselves. It's good."
Ryan added: "It's amazing. We just support each other and focus on what we are here for which is to perform every week and do the best we can and when we get some spare time we like to chill out and spend some time together which is nice and is a bonus".
The new Jukebox feature will see the song themes for the following week being decided via a spinning wheel on the show. Themes up for grabs include Oscars, Boy Band vs Girl Band, Disco, Motown, 80’s, Divas and Louis Loves (the Louis Walsh collection).
Emma said: "It's crazy cause you never know which theme it's going to land on so it's really exciting."
Ryan admitted it concerned him adding: "It's scary cause all the genres are not something I would do. It's not really my kind of music. It'll be a really big challenge to try and adapt to what it is."
Ryan added: "It feels so amazing we wanted Scotland to get everyone behind us and hopefully get the votes in so we can stay a bit longer. It doesn't usually happen to someone like me. Coatbridge is not one of those places you get a lot of opportunity. I'm just holding it with both hands and hopefully am not going to let it go for a while."


- Posted with love from Scotland by theShowbizLion.com

Monday, 3 October 2016

HARRY STYLES MUM AND FANS HELP SAVE LITTLE SCOTTISH SHIP




HARRY Styles mum has played her part in helping to raise £6000 for a Scots charity in a bid to help restore a small Scottish ship that saved 600 lives in Dunkirk.
One Direction and Harry Styles fans around the globe have helped out after the star's mum Anne Twist tweeted about it, and made her own donation to restore the Skylark IX in Irvine.
Many of them will now wear a special Skylark IX pin badge when the movie is finally released in cinemas.


Now the Skylark IX Trust campaigners are asking Harry to become an ambassador for the Skylark charity Trust.
The Skylark IX is being restored over the next 18 months to two years at the Scottish Maritime Museum in Irvine.
The little ship which rescued 600 men from the shores of Dunkirk has been in West Dumbartonshire for nearly forty five years and will be ninety next year.
She was saved for posterity through the Skylark Trust since being rescued from a watery grave in 2013.


Harry Styles and One Direction fan Sasha Wedge from Salford and her pal Maartje van Hoorn set the ball rolling along with the Trust when they set up a just giving page to help rebuild the ship after Harry Styles was announced for a lead role in Dunkirk.


When Harry’s mum Anne found out about it she retweeted the story, branding it “wonderful”.
She has also donated £100 to the campaign bringing the total to £6000 and recently judged an online art competition for the Trust.
She exclusively told theshowbizlion.com: "It was a privilege to get involved with the trust. Their competition was a fabulous way of bringing a little bit of history to life. With the anticipation of the Dunkirk movie simmering amongst all us Harry fans, the art competition has now helped restore a little piece of it"
Her donation also means Harry's name will be added to a plaque in the ship alongside his step dad Robin.
Harry's costar Jack Gover is also in possession of a pin badge bearing the ship's logo and one fan even made a tattoo of the ship for fans.
Sasha Wedge told fans: "In June 2016, a flotilla from the Association of Dunkirk Little Ships made their way to Dunkirk to star in the new movie. Sadly, there was one little ship that should have been there, and couldn't be. Her name is Skylark IX, and we're fundraising for the Skylark IX Recovery Trust to restore her.
The Trust are hoping to raise at least £1000 to move her into a covered workshop (safe from the Scottish elements!) & for an initial purchase of materials to reinforce and ensure her stability as they seek lottery funding. Skylark will then be restored plank by plank.
​This is our chance to play our own part in Dunkirk's history and show Harry that we really care about the true subject of his movie! Why #SaveSkylark?!
As a thank you, Harry will be thanked for inspiring us and we will be collectively thanked for our donations on a plaque on board Skylark once her restoration has been completed.
The Trust work alongside Alternatives, which works with people recovering from alcohol and drug addictions. They will learn key employment skills while helping with the restoration.
She will sail on the River Clyde in Scotland taking veterans, visitors, and school children "doon the water" on short trips, where they can hear about the miracle of Dunkirk through an interactive on board system.
She will move to Dumbarton Castle and will continue to be used for educational purposes. She will also once again take veterans once a year for a short service of remembrance on the anniversary of Dunkirk.
The target is to restore Skylark so that she can sail to Dunkirk for the 80th anniversary of Operation Dynamo (2020) alongside the other remaining Dunkirk Little Ships, but if they have the funding in place, the work can be completed within 18 months to 2 years.
If you donate £100 or more your name (or another) can be added to the Skylark 600 plaque. Please contact the Skylark IX Recovery Trust directly via www.skylarkix.

Skylark IX's story is now known by many, as we move towards the 76th anniversary of Operation Dynamo.

1927

Skylark IX is born

Skylark IX began life in 1927 in the shipyard of J H
Bolson & Sons of Poole in Dorset, the ninth in a series
of ten Skylarks.

1939

Wartime Duties

At poole, Skylark IX served as a shallow water minesweeper and was engaged in placing anti-invasion obstacles around the harbour. At one time she erected decoys on Brownsea Island, consisting of wooden sheds filled with coal and sprayed with oil. They were set alight when German bombers flew over, looking for the Admiralty Armaments depot at Holton Heath

1940

Skylark IX’s finest hour

During the 9 fateful days of 'Operation Dynamo' Skylark IX saved the life of over 600 allied forces from the beaches of Dunkirk.

1946

Skylark Moves North

After the war, Skylark IX gradually worked her way north, via Morecambe and Burntisland to Loch Lomond, where Sweeneys Cruises operated her for 33 years. John Sweeney gave Skylarks services free, to Dunkirk Veterans once a year, for their reuninion on Loch Lomond. Veterans remembered those who did not return and laid poppies on the Loch.



Excerpts of this article appeared in The Sunday Post

- Posted with love from Scotland by theShowbizLion.com

Sunday, 2 October 2016

CAITLYN VAN BECK SINGS FOR SCOTTISH DREAMMAKER CHARITY






X Factor singer Caitlyn Van Beck might have been knocked out of the telly show on Saturday but she didn't stay at home weeping over the decision - and managed to wow as a surprise guest at a charity bash for sick kids.







Guests couldn't believe their luck when 18 year old Tranent gal Caitlyn turned up at the Les Hoey MBE Dreammaker Foundation bash in Glasgow's Crowne Plaza.







And at exactly the same time as X Factor fans watched the judges houses stage of the show where Simon made his shock move she performed a moving rendition of Piece By Piece by Kelly Clarkston on stage at the party.







Revellers included GLOW reality stars Brian Matthews and James English, Still Game's Jane McGarry and Mark Cox who play Isa and Tam and radio host Suzie McGuire.

Caitlyn said: "It's great to be here to support the Les Hoey MBE Dreammaker Foundation and to see all the smiles on the children's faces."

Meantime fans of the Scots singer have kicked off after house after her pianist appeared to hit a bum note during her Judges House audition.
Caitlyn sang Praying For Time by George Michael during the audition in Malibu in front of Simon Cowell and his friends.
Caitlyn appeared to forget her words as she sang the famous song and Simon encouraged her to keep singing.
Now however, followers online have pointed out that the pianist seemed to hit a wrong note which put the Scots talent off.



At fifty five seconds into the audition just as she is about to sing the word wounded which she begins to pronounce, she stops dead and gives a puzzled look.
Simon urges her to continue after the two exchange a look and Caitlyn then performs the rest of the song beautifully.
Fans are now furious that Caitlyn, who was put head to head with fellow Scot Emily Middlemas at judges houses, was put out of the competition by a regretful Simon.
And some are raising questions about her musical accompaniment online.
Paul Lang commented: "The guy playing piano went wrong there, didn't he? She was thrown.#xfactor"
Another Sasha Lang added: "Anyone else notice the Pianist messed up just as Caitlyn was smashing her song at judges, struggle to believe that wasn't set up..furious."
Another wrote on a forum: "I just watched again on YouTube and it almost seemed like the keyboard player played the wrong notes to the line 'when there is no hope to speak of'. Very strange"



Excerpts of this article from The showbizlion.com appeared in The Sun online.



- Posted with love from Scotland by theShowbizLion.comSun online

Friday, 23 September 2016

STILL GAME GETS NEW TITLES AND MUSIC




STILL Game producers got together with the world-renowned BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra to make the new title music for the show.
And they engaged the services of BAFTA award-winning TV & film composer Ben Foster.
Recorded last week at the City Halls in Glasgow, home to the BBC SSO, Foster arranged and orchestrated the new titles, re-recording the Frank Chacksfield song ‘Cuban Boy’.


The track has long been associated with the Still Game series since its debut in 2002, originally using a version by The Cuban Boys.
The new title music was conducted by BAFTA award-winning British composer, Ben Foster whose TV and film credits include Doctor Who Live, Torchwood, Prometheus and The Grey, amongst others.


The iconic opening titles of Still Game which see evergreen pensioner pals Jack Jarvis and Victor McDade (Ford Kiernan and Greg Hemphill) age through the years, have also been reshot for the new much-anticipated seventh series.
The new titles remain faithful to the original style seeing Jack and Victor through the ages from schoolboys, to teens and adults in the 60s, 70s, 80s to the present day.



Jacqueline Sinclair, Producer, said: “Jack and Victor may not have aged and the original titles have been fabulous for 14 years but as the whole series is getting a polish, we really needed to make the titles sparkle for HD widescreen televisions too. The re-recording of the title music has been the icing on the cake and it really did bring a tear to my eye to hear it being performed live!”


Joan Morrison, Orchestra and Events Manager for the BBC SSO, added: “We are thrilled to be a part of the new series of Still Game and had great fun recording the soundtrack. The orchestra plays a vital role in contributing to programmes across the BBC, entertaining and enlightening audiences throughout Scotland, the UK and beyond.”
After a nine year hiatus, Still Game returns to BBC One on Friday October 7.


- Posted with love from Scotland by theShowbizLion.com

Wednesday, 21 September 2016

MOBO AWARDS ANNOUNCE NOMINATIONS FOR GLASGOW




The MOBO awards have announced their nominations for their twenty first anniversary show in Scotland - and Craig David, Kano and Wiley are just some of the names who could be popping up at the bash.
The awards take place in Glasgow's SSE Hydro on November 4 with Chase & Status already confirmed to perform on the night.


Organiser Kanya King MBE who launched the bash in Ronnie Scott's London said: "It is unbelievable it is our twenty first anniversary show. This year's show will be broadcast on the night on ITV2 then later ITV and we can't wait."
The nominations list for the show is led by Kano and Laura Mvula, who are up for four MOBO Awards.
Heres the full list below:

BEST MALE ACT

Craig David

Kano

Skepta

Tinie Tempah

Stormzy


BEST FEMALE ACT

Lady Leshurr

Katy B

Laura Mvula

Little Simz

Nao


BEST NEWCOMER

67

AJ Tracey

Avelino

Izzy Bizu

Mostack

Kojey Radical

Nadia Rose

Ray Blk

Anne-Marie

WSTRN


BEST ALBUM

Laura Mvula – The Dreaming Room

Giggs – Landlord

Kano – Made In The Manor

Michael Kiwanuka – Love & Hate

Skepta – Konnichiwa


BEST HIP HOP ACT

Giggs

Section Boyz

Little Simz

Fekky

Wretch 32


BEST SONG

Craig David Feat. Big Narstie “When The Bassline Drops”

(Produced by White N3rd)

Kano Feat. Giggs & Wiley “3 Wheel-Ups”

(Produced by Swifta Beater)

Tinie Tempah Feat. Zara Larsson “Girls Like”

(Produced by KDA)

WSTRN “In2”

(Produced by PRGRSHN for PARALLEL)

Jorja Smith “Blue Lights” (Produced by Joice)

Naughty Boy Feat. BeyoncĂ© & Arrow Benjamin “Runnin’”

(Produced by Naughty Boy)

Abra Cadabra Feat. Krept & Konan "Robbery (Remix)"

(Produced by Yamaica)

Chase & Status Feat. Frisco “Funny”

(Produced by Chase & Status)

Ghetts – “You Dun Know Already”

(Produced by Sir Spyro)

M.O “Who Do You Think Of”

(Produced by Fred Gibson)

J.Hus "Friendly" (Produced by J5)

Lethal Bizzle “Wobble” (Produced by Diztortion)


BEST VIDEO

Laura Mvula – Phenomenal Woman (Directed by Alex Southam)

Kojey Radical – Footsteps (Directed by The Rest)

M.I.A – Borders (Directed by M.I.A)

Nadia Rose – Skwod (Directed by Reece Proctol)

Bugzy Malone – Moving (Directed by Bugzy Malone)


BEST R&B/SOUL ACT

Nao

James Blake

Michael Kiwanuka

Laura Mvula

Shakka


BEST GRIME ACT (IN ASSOCIATION WITH BBC RADIO 1XTRA)

AJ Tracey

Kano

Chip

Skepta

Stormzy


BEST INTERNATIONAL ACT

(This category will be reduced to 5 final nominees on October 17)

Anderson. Paak

Beyoncé

Bryson Tiller

Chance The Rapper

Drake

Frank Ocean

Kanye West

Kaytranada

PARTYNEXTDOOR

Rihanna

Justin Bieber

Tory Lanez

DJ Khaled

Major Lazer

Travis Scott


BEST JAZZ ACT


Esperanza Spalding

Bill Laurance

Michael Janisch

Jacob Collier

Cory Henry


BEST GOSPEL ACT

Guvna B

Volney Morgan & New-Ye

Sarah Teibo

S.O

Andrew Bello


BEST REGGAE ACT

Popcaan

Alkaline

Spice

Protoje

Kranium


BEST AFRICAN ACT

(This category will be reduced to 5 final nominees on October 17)

Mr Eazi

WizKid

Moelogo

Tekno Miles

Tiwa Savage

Yemi Alade

Olamide

Mista Silva

Eugy

Kwamz & Flava



General tickets for the 2016 MOBO Awards are ON SALE NOW – ticket prices are £25, £35 and £45 plus handling charges. For VIP tickets, please contact us via viptickets@mobo.com.


- Posted with love from Scotland by theShowbizLion.com